< Back to store

2014 Louis

RRP
$33.00

| Become a Wine Club Member or sign in to view wine club pricing

Region
Eden Valley
Description

Vibrant pale straw with green hues. Complex aromas of lemon and lime zest, freshly cut grass, green apple and fragrant clover and almond blossom are enhanced with hints of anise and toasted hazelnut. Rich and textural, the palate shows flavours of citrus, stone-fruit and green apples; with finely poised acidity and supporting mineral backbone, the incredibly restrained power and intensity provide both length and longevity.

+ -
Share the passion
+

Product Information

Vintage
2014
Grape varieties
  • 100% Semillon
Technical Details
Alcohol
12%
pH
3.09
Acidity
6.72g/L
Bottle Size
750mL
Harvest Date
12-18 March
Maturation
19% aged for 6 months in seasoned 225L French barriques while the remaining 81% is aged in tank on lees.
Viticulture
The Henschke vineyards are nurtured under biodynamic principles
Background
A tribute to Louis Edmund Henschke (1919-1990), the fourth-generation grower of the Hill of Grace vineyard. His expertise as a vigneron has resulted in a legacy in the form of the famous vineyard being maintained using long-term organic principles. The semillon is a reserve selection from 50-year-old vines, grown in the Henschke vineyard at Eden Valley.
Serving Temperature
9°C
Cellaring potential
Exceptional vintage, 20+ years (from vintage)
Download tasting notes
2014 2013 2012 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999
+

Vintage Description

The 2014 vintage began with the winery coming alive to the fragrant aromas of fermentation. But what a year we had! The moon cycles put Easter quite late in the season, so the expectation of a late harvest prevailed...until South Australia experienced its record number of heat days over 40C in January, culminating in the worst bushfire in Eden Valley in living memory. This taste of hell ended in the wettest February in 44 years - all in 48 hours, when we received between 115 and 150mm of rain. Fortunately, Eden Valley and the Adelaide Hills were still in veraison, which allowed the quenching rain to rebalance the fruit, particularly in the older dry-grown vineyards. The yields appeared depressingly minuscule, due to a severe black frost in spring and cold windy weather during flowering in early December. Early picks of semillon and shiraz after the heat wave were in response to vine stress. The change to mild autumnal weather in late February after the rains allowed for a focus on other early vintage varieties, riesling in Eden Valley and pinot noir at Lenswood. Mild weather with cold dewy mornings and windy days prevailed. Disease pressure increased as March became colder and wetter, which seemed to change to a winter pattern after the solstice. It was indeed a late vintage and also resulted in one of our longest vintages.The picking of Eden Valley cabernet and Lenswood merlot brought the season to a close at the beginning of May, where skilled vineyard teams played a critical role by hand selecting and picking the best quality fruit during the onset of rain and cold wintery weather. In summary, a challenging season with good quality but very low yields.

Reviews

Ashley Pini & Travis Fuller Drinks Trade

January, 2017

"Complex aromas of lemon and lime zest, freshly cut grass, green apple and almond blossom. Rich and textural, the palate shows flavours of citrus, stone-fruit and green apples. Restrained power and intensity provide both length and longevity."

James Halliday Halliday Wine Companion Magazine

"From 50yo estate semillon vines in the Eden Valley. The early stages of bottle development have invested the wine with mouthfeel and an extra degree of depth, with more to come over the next 5+ years."