Louis 2017 – Products – Henschke
< Back to products

2017 Louis

RRP:
$33.00

| Become a Wine Club Member or sign in to view wine club pricing

Region
Eden Valley
Description

Pale gold with lime green hues. Complex aromas of meadow blossom, freshly cut hay, lemon rind and Nashi pear are complemented by hints of white currant, stone-fruit, lanolin and toast. The rich and textural palate offers intense citrus and stone-fruit flavours with great drive and purity, supported by a fine and balanced acid line for a clean finish. This vintage exhibits great ageing potential.

In its own happy zone with its lime blossom nose and lemon-accented flavours. A charmer thanks to soft acidity and an overall lightness. 92 points.

Jane Faulkner, 2021 Halliday Wine Companion, 1 August 2020
+ -
Share the passion
+

Product Information

Vintage
2017
Grape varieties
  • 100% Semillon
Technical Details
Alcohol
11.5%
pH
3.21
Acidity
6.2g/L
Bottle Size
750mL
Harvest Date
30 March
Maturation
5% aged for 8 months in seasoned 225L French barriques while the remaining 95% is aged in tank on lees.
Viticulture
The Henschke vineyards are nurtured under biodynamic principles
Background
A tribute to Louis Edmund Henschke (1919-1990), the fourth-generation grower of the Hill of Grace vineyard. His expertise as a vigneron has resulted in a legacy in the form of the famous vineyard being maintained using long-term organic principles. The semillon is a reserve selection from 50-year-old vines, grown in the Henschke vineyard at Eden Valley.
Serving Temperature
9°C
Cellaring potential
Excellent vintage, 25+ years (from vintage)
Download tasting notes
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2010 2009 2008 2007 2005 2003 2000
+

Vintage Description

A later start to picking and a mild period of ripening finished with the last grapes being picked in mid-May. A wet 2016 winter gave us a good foundation for our predominantly dry-grown vines on their own roots, and a cool, wet and fiercely windy spring followed, with a slightly higher spring rainfall than the Barossa Valley, which delayed flowering, though conditions during set meant that yields were at average levels. A mild summer with regular rainfall events followed, which allowed the grapes to reach full physiological maturity. The significant rainfall events largely missed our area and therefore we harvested the majority of our grapes in healthy condition. As always, careful hand picking in the vineyard and sorting of grapes as they were processed made sure that quality was not compromised. 2017 will be characterised by impeccably floral and vibrant white wines, an indicator of our slightly cooler conditions. 

Reviews

Jane Faulkner Halliday Wine Companion

August, 1 2020

"In its own happy zone with its lime blossom nose and lemon-accented flavours. A charmer thanks to soft acidity and an overall lightness."

92
Huon Hooke The Real Review

January, 20 2020

Light straw-yellow hue. The bouquet is charmingly scented with a talc-like perfume that suggests subtle use of oak and nice clean, ripe fruit. The palate is soft, round and dry, with a more generous amplitude than traditional Hunter semillons. The acidity is beautifully seamless and invigorating. It will age superbly. Excellent.

 

SIGN UP TO THE HENSCHKE NEWSLETTER

* indicates required
×