Recipe by Chef Dennis Leslie
250g prawns, peeled and de-veined
450g calamari, cleaned and scored on the inside, cut into cubes
1 brown onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 large red chillies, de-seeded and sliced
400ml white wine
6 Tomatoes, de-seeded and Diced 4mm square
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
fresh basil leaves
pinch of sea salt
extra virgin olive Oil
cracked black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and add a pinch of salt. Once the water has boiled add pasta and cook until al dente.
- Heat up a large pan with a lid (or pot) on medium-high heat.
- Once the pan is hot, add the mussels, followed by the white wine. Place lid and allow mussels to steam open.
- Once opened, strain the mussels then set aside, reserving the liquid and allow to cool slightly. You can pick the mussel meat out if you prefer.
- Heat up the same pan and add olive oil. Once hot, add oil and calamari then sauté quickly, followed by the prawns. Brown slightly on high heat, then set aside.
- Heat the same pan for the third time on medium heat and add oil, onions, garlic and chilli. Sauté until the onions are clear and the ingredients are aromatic.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and toss through, followed by the seafood.
Stir through reserved mussel liquid and butter then bring to a gentle boil.
- Strain cooked pasta and add to the sauce. Toss through until evenly coated and season with black pepper and sea salt. Add the chopped parsley and garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- Divide into four serves and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.