350g Portobello mushrooms, sliced
½ Brown onion, sliced
½ Clove of garlic
3g Quatre Epices Savoury (spice mix containing white pepper, nutmeg, ginger and cloves)
250g Unsalted butter Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Melt 50g of the butter and sweat the mushrooms, onion and garlic slowly until no more moisture comes out of the mushrooms, about ten minutes.
- Add the brandy and the port and cook for a further five minutes.
- Add the cream and reduce by two thirds.
- Season with the spice mix (this can be purchased from Herbies Spices) and the salt and pepper.
- Place mixture into food a processor and process until quite smooth, then with the motor running add the butter a little at a time until well incorporated.
- Place into a shallow bowl and refrigerate until needed.
HAZELNUT & MUSHROOM CRUMB
50g Hazelnut meal
5g Sea salt
20g Dried mushrooms (shitake or porcini)
20ml Hazelnut oil
20g Tapioca maltodextrin (purchase online)
- Toast the hazelnuts and meal separately until light golden.
- Chop the hazelnuts so each has been at least broken into two.
- Process dried mushrooms in food processor until they become a fine powder.
- In a bowl, mix the oil and tapioca maltodextrin until it is all incorporated, then pass through a fine strainer.
- Mix all ingredients together gently and keep in an airtight container until ready to serve.
20g Shitake mushrooms, dried
40ml Tomato sauce
20ml Sherry vinegar
- Bring water to the boil and pour over mushrooms.
- Leave for 30 minutes to soften.
- Next add remaining ingredients and bring to boil again.
- Place in food processor and process until a smooth ketchup like consistency is obtained.
- Leave to cool at room temperature.
PICKLED SHIMEJI MUSHROOM
125ml Vinegar white
6 tbl Sugar
2 tsp Salt
100g Shimeji mushrooms
- Bring the water, vinegar, sugar and salt to the boil.
- Pour over the mushrooms and leave them to cool at room temperature.
LINSEED & WATTLE SEED CRACKER
3g Wattle seed
10g Potato starch
- Mix the dry ingredients while bringing the water to a boil.
- Add the boiling water to the dry ingredients and whisk until well incorporated.
- Leave for 20 minutes until thick.
- Roll between two pieces of parchment until very thin and bake at 150°C for 15 minutes. The result should be totally dry, leave on the paper until ready to use then break into chunks.
To finish, place the crumb in a bowl with a spoon of the pâtè on top. Top with pickled shimeji mushrooms and fresh enoki mushrooms. Spoon a little sauce around the bowl and top with the linseed and wattle seed crackers.