Recipe by Chef Dennis Leslie
1.5kg beef sirloin straps, cut into 3cm cubes
6 star anise pods
4 cinnamon sticks
5 pieces of liquorice root
¼ cup dried mandarin peel
400g rock sugar
1 bunch spring onions,½ cut into 5cm long batons and ½ sliced into long strips and placed in iced water for spring onion curls
¼ cup ginger, roughly sliced into thin pieces
2 cups water
1 cup Shaoxing wine (Chinese cooking wine)
1 cup light soy sauce
½ cup dark soy sauce
2 cups jasmine rice
1. Put about 2 litres of water on to boil.
2. Once the water is boiled, blanch the beef in boiling water for about 5 minutes to get rid of impurities then drain in a chinois (a conical sieve with extremely fine mesh).
3. In a 5 litre pot, place star anise, cinnamon sticks, liquorice root, dried mandarin, rock sugar, spring onion batons, ginger, water, Shaoxing wine, light soy and dark soy in the pot and bring to boil. Simmer for a further 20 minutes.
4. Add the blanched beef to the pot and cook for a further hour on a very low setting.
5. Taste for balance. If a little strong in flavour, add a small amount of water.
6. Serve with jasmine rice and garnish with spring onion curls.