2018 Louis

RRP:

$33.00

  |  

 

Eden Valley

Pale straw with lime green hues. Vibrant and lifted aromas of lemon rind, white currant, clover blossom and cut meadow grass are supported by hints of lanolin and toast. The palate is pure, fine and elegant with layers of grilled lemon, cumquat and white stone-fruit flavour’s, balanced by crunchy Granny Smith apple texture, creamy lemon curd and pie crust complexity and excellent length.

Product Information

Vintage
2018
Grape variety breakdown

100% Semillon

Technical Details
Alcohol: 11.5% | pH:

3.11

| Acidity:

5.87g/L

| Volume: 750mls

Harvest Date

07 March

Maturation

5% aged for 10 months in seasoned 225L French barriques while the remaining 95% is kept in stainless on lees.

Background

A tribute to Louis Edmund Henschke (1919-1990), the fourth-generation grower of the Hill of Grace vineyard. His expertise as a vigneron has resulted in a legacy in the form of the famous vineyard being maintained using long-term organic principles. The semillon is a reserve selection from 50-year-old vines, grown in the Henschke vineyard at Eden Valley.

Cellaring potential

Excellent vintage, 20+ years (from vintage)

Serving Temperature

9°C

Download Tasting Notes

2018
2017
2016
2015
2014
2013
2012
2010
2009
2008
2007
2005
2003
2000

Vintage Description

A moderately wet winter combined with average spring conditions meant that vines grew well in the mild weather. Ideal flowering conditions in late spring/early summer lead to the potential for near-average yields. Late December became warm and dry and assured for healthy canopies with low disease pressure. The summer months of January and February were typically hot and dry but extreme heat periods were shorter than in recent memory, characterised instead by well above-average overnight temperatures. The old-vine vineyards coped well with the warm nights, their deep roots able to withstand the warming and drying effect on the topsoil, maturing the balanced crops as autumn approached. March and April provided the light and warmth to the Eden Valley which lead to full and balanced maturity being achieved across all grape varieties. With warm sunny days and cool nights, the dry autumn guaranteed that pristinely-healthy grapes arrived in the fermenters. All in all, the 2018 vintage will be considered a standout of this decade, fittingly so in the year we celebrated our 150th anniversary of family winemaking.

Reviews